The manual wood planer is one of the oldest carpentry tools, but at the present time, its design has not changed much. It still helps to cope with fine woodwork, especially if there is not much of it.
On sale, you can find a huge variety of such a tool – both network and battery. In order for the choice to be conscious, it is advisable to answer a few simple questions before buying:
- The intensity of the use of wood planer. For daily intensive work, it is better to prefer a professional model if planning is required only occasionally, a good amateur tool will do.
- Is a bed required for a fixed planer installation on a workbench?
- The width of the blanks, which often have to be processed. Planer knives should fit this size, if they are already, you will have to make several visits.
- Will it be necessary to select quarters and chamfer?
- Is there a need to connect a vacuum cleaner?
- Should the tool work when there is no power supply? If so, you will need a battery planer.
DEWALT DW 680
The American company DeWalt is famous for being able to squeeze out maximum possibilities from the less optimal components for a tool. The same can be observed in the DW 680 model. A rather modest 600-watt motor allows the knives to rotate at a speed of 15,000 revolutions per minute – this is more than enough for processing wood species of medium hardness.
Despite assurances from many “competent” sources that this electric planer can easily cope with solid wood grades, there is one very important nuance. The planer can really handle them, however, the engine is experiencing a high load and long planning (or folding) on revolutions can disable it.
- the high speed of rotation of knives at low engine power.
- planing depth of 2.5 millimeters.
- carbide knives have a high working life.
- attractive price.
- does not have electronic speed control.
BOSCH GHO 18 V-LI
The Bosch GHO 18 V-LI electro wood planer can hardly be categorized as an extra-professional tool, but it has the makings of a good device for a home carpentry workshop. The rotational speed of the knives at 14,000 revolutions per minute allows it to process soft and medium types of wood, but in some cases, it is possible to resort (with short passes) to planing solid wood materials.
The depth of planning is adjustable from nominal zero to 1.6 millimeters with a width of the workpiece of 82 millimeters. Knives swivel, carbide, provide high-precision surface treatment and are able to serve for a long period of time.
- presence of start blocking.
- possibility to choose the side of the release of wood chips.
- the possibility of smooth adjustment of the depth of the removed layer.
- high-precision rotary carbide knives.
- inconvenient when processing large surfaces.
- high price.
MAKITA KP 0800
Perhaps the best option planer for the home workshop. Like all Makita products, the KP0800 is notable for its reliability and good build quality. The compact device holds a 620-watt motor that allows steel knives to rotate at up to 17,000 revolutions per minute.
High rotational speeds provide fast and very accurate carrying out operations of planning, folding and slotting. The electro wood planer is focused on standard tree species, which are widespread in the construction, decoration and joinery business as such. The main advantage of this wood planer users considers the balance and ergonomics, which fully justify the asking price.
- comfortable plastic handle and base of the body – it is easy to guide the planer on the treated surface.
- high-quality body, made of shockproof plastic.
- durable steel knives, long-lasting operational ability.
- optimal processing parameters.
- high peak speed of the knives.
- not detected.